In this lecture, Chris spoke about binary representation, the lowest level of data representation. I've always been enamored by graphical representation using bits and bytes, as I've dealt a lot with RGB for web development and graphic editing, so I was pleasantly surprised to see this topic. From what I learnt, several types of data may be encoded in binary: Binary uses 'bits', which stands for binary digits (that second part blew my mind!) either 0 or 1 resistant to errors Integers stored as groups of 8 bits, known as 'bytes' starting from right to left at 0, each bit represents a value of 2^(bit number) e.g. 10010111 = 1x2 7 + 0x2 6 + 0x2 5 + 1x2 4 + 0x2 3 + 1x2 2 + 1x2 1 + 1x2 0 = 151 Fixed-point encoded the same way as integers, but the bits to the right of the decimal point are 'fractional' Floating-point encoded in three parts: the sign bit, the mantissa, and the exponent 0 represents a positive sign bit, whereas 1 is negative common flo...
Hi, and welcome to my SPO600 blog! This course is about software optimization, and dives into a lot of low-level technologies such as AArch64 and x86_64 to help us understand how software can run on different architectures, as well as how optimizations can be made to increase performance. Today, I generated a pair of SSH keys and emailed Chris, the professor, the public key so that I get access to the systems I will be using to develop code in class. SPO600 seems really technical, but I'm already pretty interested so let's give it my best!
In SPO600, we'll be submitting our own code for review. In order to learn more about this, Lab 1 is designed to explore the code review processes used in open source projects. I looked into two open source software packages - AForge.NET, a .NET computer vision library and YARP.it, a C++ robotics library. I took a closer look and found that AForge.NET has a public GitHub repo to accept pull requests. Interestingly, I found 10 pull requests. One of them, titled 'Added new solution and project files for .NET Standard' had four replies discussing specific technicalities I won't go over. On YARP.it, it was really easy to find their GitHub repo because it's on their main page. This time, there were 14 pull requests. The first one had 15 replies, in which they had an argument on whether or not the pull request is even beneficial or necessary. Although the pull request was made over 2 years ago, it's still in progress. It seems that there hasn't been a reply since M...
Comments
Post a Comment